Organic Apples and Produce – Fair Hills Apple Farm – Paso Robles, California
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is your farm?
- Our farm is located in Paso Robles, California, about 4 hrs. North of LA and 3 hrs. south of San Francisco. It’s located at the intersection of Hog Canyon, Jardine & Estrella Roads.
- How long have you been farming?
- We planted our orchard, approximately 35 acres of various apple varieties, in May of 1992.
- Do you grow anything else?
- Yes, we have about 50 acres total, 35 in apples and about 15 in various summer stone fruits, peaches, nectarines, cherries, apricots, plums.
- When did you become Organic?
- We had been growing organically since 1998 ,and got certified organic in 2002. We are still growing our fruit under the strictest organic guidelines but we can no longer afford the astronomical certification and licensing costs that are associated with this process.
- Was this a family business?
- No, David was a history major in college and sold real estate for 20+/- years in Santa Barbara, California. He always had a passion for growing plants, trees, as a hobby! His wife, Nancy, was a flight attendant for Pan Am for over 15 years until they went bankrupt in 1991. With 3 little girls they decided it was the perfect time to be home more and fit the family into farming/orchard business.
- Do you have orchard tours?
- No, we don’t at this time. We sell all of our fruit ourselves, which requires a lot of time on the road traveling to many farmers markets throughout central and southern California, as well as specialty stores, hotels and restaurants. We would like to incorporate that into our business in the future.
- Where can I buy your apples and fruits?
- Check the list of Farmer's Markets on the right side of this page. But please be sure to check our website and/call/email before going to various farmers markets. We sometimes have to cancel smaller markets due to the nature of seasonal crops, supply and demand, and weather.